Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Solo Travel In Tokyo Day 5 - Ohi Racetrack Flea Market, Nakano Broadway, Koenji & Mode Off

Day 5 was a Saturday and usually weekends most places are crowded. However, my next destination is different from most tourist visit. I decided to check out their local flea market. I love to visit flea markets wherever I go. Before leaving I have light breakfast in the room...coffee and mini oreo biscuits to start my day. 



When I left the room it was early and there were fewer crowds and cars on the road when I make my way to the train station. 


I estimated that I would arrive at my destination before 9.30am.


However, I ended up boarding the wrong train. I should have taken the train which stopped at every station. Instead, I ended up boarding the train which not only doesn't stop at my destination....I ended up taking a non-stop train to Haneda Airport instead 😓


Oh well....I just enjoy the scenery instead 😅


From Haneda airport, I took the express train and head back to the station where I was earlier.


This round I boarded the correct train, and it was only 2 stops away from Hamamatsucho Station.


What a relief when I finally arrived at Oikeibajomae Station. 
Wasted quite a lot of time while coming here. 


It was a few minutes walk to the Ohi Racetrack from the station. When I arrived, the place happened to be a parking lot for the race track. I assumed when the place is not in use they rent out the parking lot for flea market during the weekends. 


There're a lot of things to see in this flea market...and I mean a lot!


I got to say, the Japanese organised their goods so neatly. 
It was so organized, neat & clean.


There were a number of items that I wanted to get, such as these jewellery boxes below. There was one problem....how the heck am I going to carry back? Even just the thought of carrying it back to the hotel will be a hassle too. Pricing range was actually quite reasonable and most of the things here the items were in pretty good condition.


I wasn't sure how long it will take to arrive at my next destination so I thought it was best to eat before I leave. There were few stalls selling hot food and I ended up having Japanese pancake.


The portion was huge. I was worried that I couldn't finish it.....but I finished it all up (blame it on the cold weather that day)


I got a few things from the flea market but it was something small which I can put in my backpack. On my way back to the train station I found a map of the racetrack and took a picture of it. 


Next stop I head over to Nakano station.  The road to Nakano Broadway begins right out of Nakano Station which goes through the covered Nakano Sun Mall shopping street.


A fan of anime, miniatures & manga, I thought I come here to check out what's in store here.


Nakano Broadway consists of four floors plus a basement. There's a mixture of stores here and hence there're tons of things to see. I love miniatures related items & capsule machine so it was my kind of place to be. 


I've noticed that there're tons of vintage toys & second-hand goods in many of the stores. I ended up spending a few hours just browsing the stores here (and pick up several items along the way).


There's a snack shop which sells Japanese snacks. You can get some affordable Japanese candies and snacks here for your family and friends while you're here.


Next stop I head over to Koenji Station. Its only one stop from Nakano Station. 


With the portable wifi on hand, I was able to arrive at my next destination.


I've been planning to check out this place after reading a blog post of this cafe.  When I was here the cafe was full but the staff told me to come back in 25 minutes time after leaving my name. 


With some time to spare, I went to a convenience store to grab a light snack to munch. 


While browsing the google map, turn out there's a mode off store nearby. Mode off is actually a second-hand chain shop, which sells second-hand clothes and accessories. 


I was pretty excited because I've been planning to check out this store and turn out I didn't have to go far. 


I would have bought more if it had my size. 
Most sizes in this store are either in small or medium size 😭


Nevertheless, I managed to get 1 jacket & 2 blouses.


My favourite find is actually the black jacket which only cost 300 yen!


Went back to the cafe and got myself a hot drink. You can read more about this cafe here.


There're other interesting shops nearby but some of the shops were closed when I was here. I find that the area around here was pretty quiet but personally I like it....less touristy and with the cooling weather it was pretty nice to walk around. 


It was getting dark and headed back to the hotel. I was pretty tired after all the walking so I ended getting a sandwich and drink from the convenience store before calling it a night. 

Total Spending For Day 5: 

Pancake from Ohi Racetrack (brunch): ‎¥450

Top-up Suica Card: ¥2000

Mini figurines (satochan): ¥200

Large figurine (satochan): ¥4000
Nakano Broadway purchases: ¥6357
7 Eleven Snacks (fish sticks and milk): ¥280
Mode Off (Second Hand Shop): ¥1500
Koenji Cafe (Hot drinks): ¥702
Dinner from Familymart- Sandwich and 2 drinks: ¥431

My overall total spending on Day 5 came up to ¥15920, which was equivalent to RM505 (exchange rate was 3.17 for 100 yen at the time). If I have excluded my shopping from Nakano and flea market,  for the shopping my spending would have been ¥5263 (or RM169). 


Read the rest of the Japan Trip: 


No comments:

Post a Comment