Sunday, May 15, 2016

Solo Travel In Tokyo Day 4 - Meiji Shrine, Kiddyland, Takeshita Street & Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building

Early morning to start my day and head off to explore Tokyo on day 4. It was still early so took my time and explore Sensoji Temple.


The best time to come here is early in the morning when most of the shops are still close and the crowds are lesser. And you get to take your own selfie or pictures in front of the entrance minus the crowds.


Took a peek at the huge lantern at the bottom....and you'll find a beautiful (perhaps handcraft) woodcraft of a dragon. I don't think I'll be able to take my time to admire it if there's a huge crowd.


From Asakusa station, I took a train from Ginza line and head off to my next destination...Meiji Shrine (transfer from Omotesando to Meijijungumae station).  



Meiji Shrine is just next to the station. 
If you see this station you're on the right track. 


On the way, you'll spot a huge collection of sake barrels. Quite a decorative display I must say. 


Not far from the sake barrels is the huge torii shrine gate.


Walk a bit further and you'll find the shrine in front of you. 


I was fortunate that I was able to witness a wedding ceremony. Quite a number of us (mostly tourists...including me as well) took photos of the happy couple. It was quite an interesting sight to see, especially a traditional Japanese wedding.


Small wooden tablets hung on prayer boards in front of the shrine.


There's an English instruction on the table on how to go about offering your prayers. 



Every shrine you go there will be a booth selling amulets. 


Bought 2 amulets here, one for my best friend and another for myself (general luck and good fortune). 


Heading off in the direction where I came from and noticed the crowds coming in. If you want to come here during the weekends or holidays....go early to avoid the crowds. 


On the way out there's a rest area/shops and I stopped for a short while to rest. Have my breakfast which I bought from Family Mart earlier. Seriously, why is that the bread here is soft and tasty?!?


Spotted a young girl wearing a kimono outside the entrance. She must be waiting for her friend and there were quite a number of people taking pictures of her. I really love the blue kimono that she wore. Took a picture of her and head off to my favorite shop. 


Yes....its to Kiddyland. I came here last trip and it was one shop that I'll revisit again. 


When I arrived the shop was still closed but I didn't wait long before the staff finally opens the front door. 


Seriously, this shop is perhaps one shop that I can spend hours in here! Okay...maybe 2 hours the most. 


Just look at their floor plan....5 floors of toys and kawaii stuff!!!!


If you love Sanrio stuff or anything cute, this is one shop you have to check out. 


If you're a Disney fan....


....there're loads of Disney merchandise here. 


And there's one floor for guys too....Medicom Toy and Star Wars Merchandise. 


Figurines and other merchandise on display. 


You'll find bright and colorful walls when taking the staircase. 


Even the door to their lift is cute too. 


One floor of snoopy merchandise. 


After Kiddyland I head over to Takeshita Street.


Number of crepe store you can find here. 


You'll find interesting shops around...just remember to look up the building or you may miss it. 


You'll find loads of cute things around...including food. 


And lo and behold...a Daiso outlet. Most thing is 100 yen so this is one place I will defiantly check out. 


Unlike Malaysia, Daiso in Japan has few floors! And yes...there's a lift to go to every floor if you find your leg aching...which I did.


Bought 9 items from Daiso. The container cost 200 yen but it was a pretty good quality to store food/items. 


I walked for a short while and after looking at the time I decided to head off to another place. Took the train that was right in front of Takeshita Street and checked via my google map, took the train, and head down to Tochomae Station. 



Honestly, I was pretty lost looking for Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building. I wasn't sure which exit to take and ended up taking a lift which took me outside of the building. Fortunately I was able to find a map as well goggle map on my mobile which eventually lead me to the right direction. 


Supposedly you have to take the exit A4 using the escalator (not lift). When you enter the building, you need to have your bags checked before entering the lift, which takes you to the observatory.


And finally, I'm here at the observatory building on the 45th floor. The weather was fantastic so I was able to take a clearer shot of the buildings outside. 


There's a cafe here so you can have a drink / meal if you need a place to rest. 



It was a beautiful clear day when I went up the towers in the hope of seeing Mt Fuji but unfortunately, Mount Fuji was still in the cloud. Most of the views I see from here are buildings. I think it's best come at night when the views are better or when the lights lit up in the building. 


There's a souvenir shop near the lift, and somewhere nearby there's a small booth (a table hidden at the corner) you find a commemorative rubber stamp. I stamped it on my passport....since it was expiring soon (and I doubt I can fully utilize all the pages). It's great to look back where you've been. 


Only stayed for a short while and took the lift down. Found this huge statue hanging on the wall. Have no idea what it is but it's pretty huge.  


Look through google map and head back to Sensoji temple. 


From Kuramae Station it's 15 minutes walk to Sensoji Temple. 


On the way to the temple, I came across this building. Inside this building, there are a lot of toys and figurines on display.


I took a closer look and realized it's actually Bandai Head Office. I would have not realised it if it's not for these life-size anime statues outside of the building. Am not sure if visitors are allowed inside the building but it's worth checking it out if you ever pass by. 


In no time I was back to Sensoji Temple. 


I was looking for a place for late lunch/early dinner. Was pretty hungry since I didn't eat anything other than the sandwich and coffee the whole day. Was checking out some of the restaurants and decided to dine in this restaurant when I saw a sticker sign stating 'English Menu' is available. 


Since it was still early for dinner the restaurant is not crowded.


Ordered one of their specialty from the menu. Katsu don served with miso soup and pickles. Why is that everything tastes so good here in Japan?!?


Took a slow stroll around the Sensoji Temple. The crowds were lesser...possible it was going to be dark soon. 


Took random pictures that I find interesting and cute. 


Went to 7 eleven and bought some food/snacks for dinner before heading back to the hotel. Called it a day and slept early since I need to head off to another place early in the morning. 


Total Spending For Day 4: 

Sandwich & Starbucks Coffee From Convenience Store: ‎¥411 

2 Amulets : ¥1600
Purchases from Kiddyland: ¥12883 
Daiso Purchase: ¥1080
Late lunch at Asakusa: ¥1050
Top-up Suica Card: ¥1000
Dinner/Snacks from 7 Eleven: ¥553

My overall total spending on Day 4 came up to ¥18577, which was equivalent to RM589 (the exchange rate was 3.17 for 100 yen at the time). My biggest purchase was from Kiddyland. If not for the shopping my spending would have been ¥5694 (or RM181)





No comments:

Post a Comment