Sunday, April 10, 2016

Solo Travel In Tokyo Day 3 - Tokyo Gotokuji Temple & Shibuya

Continue Day 3 in Tokyo. Woke up early to start my journey cause the next destination that I'm going is quite far from Asakusa. 


One good thing about starting my journey early is that the crowds are lesser and most shops are still closed. I took my time to explore while walking towards to the train station (Ginza line).  I prefer walking the back lane behind the shops where there's smaller shops tuck away from view. 


Looks like there's a school trip for the students. Such an orderly manner.


The place I'm going next I need to transit from Ginza line.


I just follow the routes as per google map application. But since I need to transit, I make a mistake once when I board the train on another direction but thankfully I found out about it and got off the next stop. 


By the time I arrived at Gotokuji station I was famished. 


Huge maneki neko statue to welcome you at Gotokuji Station.


Went into the convenience store to look for something to munch. Found these cute Maneki Neko biscuits/castella cake on display. Was tempted to get few of these as souvenir but have to consider the expiry date. 


Eventually ended up buying a sandwich. Seriously, I love these sandwich from the convenience store, why is that their bread/sandwich taste so good?!?!


Although there's a Map at the station but I would not recommend getting off at Gotokuji station (Odakyu Line) if you do not have a smart phone with a map application. I would advice to get off at Miyanosaka station (Tokyu Setagaya via Tram) which is only a few minute's walk to the temple. 


Without anymore delay, my journey finally begins. Wasted too much time on transit but thankfully it was a beautiful day and the weather helps to improve my mood.  


Get to admire some of the houses along the way although it was a bit too quiet. At some point I thought I may be lost but the map application assured me that I was walking the right path (thank god for portable wifi).


When the map application stated that I have reached my destination...turn out it was the back door to the temple and it was closed 😐


Walked for several minutes and eventually found the entrance to the temple (FINALLY!)


It was early March and the cherry blossoms aren't blooming yet. 


I'm sure it will be beautiful once cherry blossoms reach its peak bloom.


Went exploring the surrounding and have my camera snapping the pictures away.....


.....and loads of it!


There's a smaller temple building dedicated to the maneki neko.




Took a peek inside of the building and there were several statues of cats on the altar as well as offerings of bottles of sake and gifts. 




And on the side of this building there's a small altar, a wooden racks with thousands of maneki neko of all sizes. 



The area where maneki neko are located are quite small. 
Although it's in a small area but it can hold over thousands of maneki neko of all sizes here. 


Gotokuji Temple is perhaps much smaller than most famous temples around Tokyo but Gotokuji is unique for its design. Worth checking it out if you have the time. I personally love the surrounding and the town area. It's less touristy as compared to other famous temple. 



While heading back to the station, the map application took me to the nearest train station which was the Miyanosaka station (Tokyu Setagaya via Tram). It's definitely easier and closer walking from Miyanosaka Station.


I didn't want to risk taking the wrong train again while transiting, I decided to head back to Gotokuji Station instead. On my way back  I passed by a number of small shops.


All the walking makes me hungry and decided to have lunch in one of the restaurant. 


The restaurant looks presentable and less crowded (partly the lunch crowd was over). 


Although its small but its quite cozy. 


Place my order by pointing to the picture since the menu was all in Japanese 😅



After a short while my food was served to me, with small side dishes and miso soup. And boy, their miso soup is superb! 



And look at all the raw sashimi in this bowl! I was surprised how much they put in this bowl (with rice at the bottom). And its so 'oishi'!!!!! I admit I have a hard time finishing this bowl though.


After lunch, I bid farewell to this place and head off to my next destination. I enjoyed exploring this area but I knew I have to head out soon before night fall. 


Next destination...Shibuya! Look at the crowds at the Shibuya crossing and I was here on a weekday! Can't imagine if I come on a weekend. 


There're quite a number of exit and I wasn't sure which exit to go to since my main purpose here is to see the famous statue. I saw a familiar name and went looking for Exit 8. 


Honestly I was a bit confuse looking for the exit but if you're not sure, just look out for familiar signage...which I did.  ^^


And finally.....here I am. Now don't let the picture fool you thinking it's not crowded....I was pretty lucky to take this shot before the crowds storming in and wanting to having their pictures taken with the famous Hachiko Statue. 


And then there is the famous Shibuya crossing. While I was here I've seen a number of people taking videos here. 


Took a short clip while I was here. 
There's nothing like having a video clip instead of a still picture. 



Came across Disney store while exploring nearby.


More Disney goodies to see on the first floor but I was too tired to climb the staircase and left the store after a short while. 


Went into the mall to to browse around but nothing seem to interest me and ended up not buying anything.



I wasn't into Fashion or shopping for clothes so I left after spending less than 2 hours in Shibuya.....


....and head back to Asakusa. 
It's getting dark soon and the crowds were lesser by evening.


On my way back I gave in and bought this fried pumpkin with sweet white bean paste from this store. Have been eyeing this since day one but every time I passed by this shop there's always a huge crowd of people lining up for these. Fortunately the crowds are lesser so managed to get one to try. And on a cold day like this it taste so much better when the food is still warm. ^^


I was too exhausted from all the walking today and decided to get my dinner from 7-Eleven to eat in the room as to call it a day. 


And that's how I spent my day 3 in Tokyo. 




Total Spending For Day 3: 

Sandwich: ‎¥240
Sashimi Rice Set For Lunch : ¥1480 
Fried Pumpkin For Snack: ¥170
Dinner from 7 Eleven: ¥906 yen 

My overall total spending for Day 3 came up to ¥2796Yen, which is equivalent to RM89 (exchange rate was 3.17 for 100 yen at the time).


No comments:

Post a Comment