Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Quiting My Job

Sometimes, I asked myself, why am I doing things that I dislike (or hate)? It could be anything, it could be your studies, your work or perhaps your life? Do we follow the path that everyone is destined to do so, or due to other people's expectation or your parent's wishes? Such as working in a prestige company (working more than 12 hours), getting married, having kids and etc. Okay, maybe getting married and having kids is totally way out of the topic...but seriously, was I happy following this path?


When some asked what do I do for a living and when I told them what I do, they will look at me and think "What?!?! You wasted so many years to study and end up working at home and selling things online???" when you can actually do all these after high school, without going to college and etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful that I was given the opportunity to attend College/University while going this path. I'm forever grateful to have a wonderful parent who supported me with the decision I make, despite having all my college/ university qualification being put away. Somehow, gaining a certificate or a qualification is not a total loss, after all, I may need it in the future in the event that I need to return back to the working sector.


Interestingly, I have people asking me, how did I start selling things online? I guess it all started when I was studying in college. I find myself having loads of junks laying around and I find it's kinder wasteful to throw it away, and defiantly not recommended to give to people which it's used. So on my spare time, I took some of  the things that I do not need and posted online to sell (via Ebay). That was way back in 2003 when I was in Australia when I first began my online selling...which started out innocently as an interest. 

When I returned home in 2005 and began working in the banking sector, I continued selling online...only on my spare time since my job took up most of my time. When I decided to pursued MBA in 2010, I left my home sweet home and went to Singapore, dumping everything that I have back home. And during these time,  I have all of the time to continue doing the things I enjoyed the most, sight-seeing, travelling and continue posting things online to sell. I must say that during these time I enjoyed myself...being care-free & stress-free (in someway). However, when I completed my course and returned back to the working sector, the constant stress, long hours of travelling, and the uber-competitive environment was too much for me. I was stressed and unhappy to the point that I would return home from work and just cry. I realised this is not the job that I want to pursued for the rest of my life, despite the pay was good.


In early 2012, when my dad became ill, I send in my resignation and returned home to be with my family...at the same time took a long needed break. During these timeI went travelling...which eventually left a big hole in my pocket. Going back to the reality, I needed to start earning again. I didn't like the idea of going back to the working sector and I defiantly do not enjoy the stress of travelling back and forth and doing things I didn't enjoy. Trust me, I did went for few job interview, and honestly, I didn't give it my all, I actually hated going through all these interview, and pretending to be interest in their company and etc.


After a long consideration and discussion with my parent, I decided to start my online business. It wasn't easy at the beginning since I need to figure our what to sell online, and selling used item via Ebay is not substantial for my earning.

Online business is not as easy as you think. Many of my friends and families thought it's an easy job which u can relax and just check online and etc. But seriously, it's an everyday and on going job that I need to do, such as checking my email daily, answering my customer's queries, ordering, packing and lurking one big bag of parcel to mail out. I must say I have fair share of downside of this business whereby you have some impatient customer, being scammed or having charge back via paypal (the risky part of business). And you know what....despite all this...I love what I'm doing! :)



I am much happier than I was before. I may not have a fixed income but I earn enough for my daily expenses...and get to travel for a R&R (on a budget). I may not have the benefits/perks I used to while working, or the luxury to spurge on some expensive cosmetic products or luxury items, but I'm content with what I have now. I don't really need branded goods nor branded name to show off, nor do I need any expensive brands of cosmetic to put on my face. Afterall, I do not need to meet any client nor people for my business...which I'm thankful for that. And best thing about online selling business, I get to be my own boss....no more lecturing from your senior or your manager..


I must warn that online business does not apply to all. If one have commitment, such as mortgage, car loans and other expenses...I would defiantly do not advice quitting your current job and start your online business at home. Trust me...income is not fixed as business there will always be up and down. >.< 

Will I return to the working sector and work for people? At this moment, the answer will be NO. There is no way I can know what the future holds but you never know...there is a possibility. So I guess I have to wait and see when the time comes. Although the future for my online business is unpredictable, but I'm more happier. 

Found this lovely quote online and wanted to share this with you. Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment