Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hong Jun Live Bull Frog Porridge in Geylang @ Singapore

A friend of mine took me to Geylang to try the famous frog porridge. I was told it's quite popular in Singapore. Friends and family who knows me knew that I hate eating porridge, even when I'm sick I will not even touch them... unless I'm forced to. I told my friend that I’m not a big fan of it but I did not mind the frog meat since it is my favorite. Together with my other 3 friends, we went to venture out...even though there is a possibility that I might not eat it.
We arrived quite early at Kallang MRT station and while waiting for another friend, we went to this shop ‘Mr Bean’ to have some snacks. My friend ordered one cup of soya bean while another friend ordered a Soya Bean favoured Ice-Cream, while I on the other hand was busy taking these photos .

My friends were nice enough to share it with me and after tasting it, I find myself enjoying the taste of the ice-cream. The drink taste like normal soya bean, but it was the soya bean ice cream that I find it intriguing. It is much healthy taking this ice-cream, compared with the one we take in McDonald’s one dollar cone. I think it is worth trying it, and it only cost SGD$1.50 in a cone.
When our friend finally arrived, we started our journey. The walk begins from Kallang MRT station and it is a 10 to 15 minutes walk, so be well prepared.


When we finally arrived, the shop has yet to open since it only opens at 7.30pm. My Vietnamese friend ordered one pot of mushroom chicken feet with rice, shared by four gals. I enjoyed the gravy, but not the mushroom nor the chicken feet as I do not like either one of them. My Vietnamese friend seems to be enjoying herself and she ate almost all of it since she was hungry and it was her favourite. 


I on the other hand decided to order a plate of French fries (SGD$3). The fries was delicious, but I find that the ladies who serve us seems unfriendly as I only ordered one plate of fries instead of the main course, or perhaps I was speaking to them in English?


I ordered a cup of my favourite Ice Lemon Tea (from Pokka) and we gals sat around and munch on the fries as we wait for the stall to open so that we can order the porridge. Please note that you have to come early because the shops here have limited tables so if you come late, be well prepared to wait. I've seen people waiting around for some time before getting their table.

When the stall finally opens, I went to order the set which comes with 5 frogs and two pots of porridge. However, do note that the uncle who takes the order is not really friendly, and he is quite rude. For those who cannot handle these kind of attitude, please ask someone to order on your behalf, especially those who can’t really converse in mandarin. Nevertheless, I just blush it off since I was there with my friends.


It took almost 15 minutes before the food came. The food costs $22. The smell was 
heaven, because I ordered the frog meat with ginger. You can order one with spicy if you like it spicy. The porridge came next and for two big pots, it is sufficient for four gals.



Overall, I find the food is  delicious.....but it was the attitude of the stall owner that I did not like.  Perhaps if they have been friendlier I think the whole experience would have been great since the good is good. Nevertheless, a big thanks to my buddies who showed me a good time eating porridge


Food taste: 4.5/5
Overall experience: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment