Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Receiving Scam Call In Malaysia

Thought of sharing this post here which happened to my friend few days ago. My friend received a phone call telling her that her ID was used to rent a car (under a different name) and drugs were found in the rented vehicle. 


The caller asked her to go to the nearest police station and turn herself in within 2 hours. When my friend hears this, she got scared because she thought she was in trouble. The caller proceeds asking for more information from my friend, such as her IC, her bank account info, how many credit cards she has and etc. 

Source: Image via Google Search
My friend panic and she ended up giving all her information to the scammer 😓 She called me after calling her parent (her parents were considering calling a lawyer friend). I knew it was a scam when she told me that they wanted her bank account information. I had to explain to her several times (she was crying at the time) and to ensure her it's a scam. When she finally realized she had made a mistake, it was too late. Fortunately for her, there wasn't any withdrawal but she had to make several phone calls to her bank, credit card department, as well as changing all her online banking password. It was a hassle but thankfully there was no withdrawal...because I had read on the news that several victims had lost money due to this scam. 

News from the Stars newspaper

I would like to share that my friend is aware of this scam (different tactic but do not involve drugs), somehow the caller managed to convince my friend believing the story. I guess when you're in a vulnerable position and panic, all logic didn't seem to matter anymore. Below is the number that the scammer called my friend on her mobile. A quick search on the net the +804 is supposedly in South East Asia.


Unfortunately, my friend didn't take note of the number and assumed the number was from outstation 😅 She mentions that the caller on the other end claimed that they're calling from Kedah. When I shared this story to another friend, she claimed that her husband received such call as well. Her husband received a phone call from a man claiming to be a policeman and he was calling to inform her husband that he had received a speeding ticket in Kedah....although he has never been there before. He did the smart thing by just hanging up the call when he realized something was fishy. 

After this incident, my friend had become more cautious if she ever receives such call in the future. I guess as scams continue to evolve, it's important to be more alert and aware of your rights when contacted by people claiming to be from enforcement agencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment