Monday, July 11, 2011

Traditional Chinese Medicine Clinic

How many of you seek a traditional Chinese medicine clinic for consultation? When I was a kid I used to see a sinseh for consultation. I was really sick and weak back then so my parent had consulted various doctors to cure me. 


I'm thankful that my parent did not force me to eat cockroach when I was young because I had heard stories that some kids were forced to eat them which claimed that it can heal them (=.=)"""


However, thank god my parent were able to find a doctor in time to cure me. Since then I have stick to western medicine.


I guess growing up my parent have the fear of traditional Chinese medicine, due to few of their friends / relatives having complication after consuming. One of them even ended in the hospital and her kidneys have complication ever since. 

Since coming to Singapore, I came to know about Bao Zhong Tang TCM Pte Ltd when they organised an event back in April 2011. Bao Zhong Tang (BZT) is a Traditional Chinese Medicine Clinic located at Singapore General Hospital (SGH).


You can refer to their website: http://baozhongtang.com.sg/ for more details

On 18 April 2011, they launched an awareness and charity programme for 1 month to educate the public on the use of Chinese herbs medicine. They were selling sample herbs for $2 each and the sales of sample herbs and donation collected were donated to the SGH Needy Patient Funds.

I went to the clinic and I find the staff there are helpful and quite knowledgeable of the herbs that they have there. They explained the benefit use of Chinese herbs and explained that many consumer are not aware of the dosage and the usage of boiling the herbs. Overdose of some herbs can actually be harmful.

Brochures regarding the launch of their BZT's 3G [Good Manufacturing Practises (GMP), Good Dispensing Practices (GDP) and Good Clinical Practices (GCP)] were distributed for this event. 


It explained that GMP standards are to ensure the quality of chinese herbs. Qualified herbalists are to ensure the authenticity of herbs. Together with GCP, BZT provide advisory service on herbal recommendation and precautions during consumption by registered TCM physicians (GCP). This is to ensure the suitability of Chinese herbs for each individual because inappropriate use of herbal medicines can be harmful.

At the end, I got 3 sample herbs from the Clinic. Since I'm always in front of the computer screen (due to the nature of my job), wolfberry and chrysanthemum actually helps to aid my vision. I also got a packet of Ginseng which suppose to help my blood pressure and blood sugar.


Overall, I'm glad that I attended this event because my knowledge prior to the event about Chinese Medicine was limited. After this event I have to be more careful of what I consume when it comes to Chinese herbs. Do drop by at the clinic and check it out, I think it is quite useful to learn the benefit of Chinese herbs medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment